Narrative troubles & project ideas

As i sit here in my dining room at my desk I have found that public history research is extremely difficult. For the past two weeks I have been researching the location of 1100 Hollins Street, Baltimore, Maryland 21223. Over these past two weeks I have been driving myself into the ground trying to find interesting articles on the building and about the people who owned the building. After all of that i have not found much. What i mainly found was that the 1100 Hollins Street locations owners were not particularly well known, except for Christian J. Eitmiller and his brother, who were the owners of a grocery store ran out of the historic building. Over that time Christopher, his with Katherine, and his brother and his wife ran the business for over 40 years, with christian and his wife involved, after 1942 when they retired the business kept thriving in the 1100 Block of Hollins. Now when writing my paper i have tried to go at it by telling the story of 1100 Hollins Street itself, but after some thinking i had o change my approach into the narrative of the building and the area surrounding it by explaining how it was possible that the Eitmiller's business was not robbed as much as the other businesses in the same area. I also decided to address the criminal culture of the 1100 Hollins Street area with numerous business owners in that area being arrested for various crimes.

When it comes to the group project for 422, I honestly have no idea where to start my thinking on this. When I look at trying to help the community of Baltimore City it seems as though everything is being done essentially. with Malika and Light city trying to show the better sides of Baltimore city and also get community members engaged with each other. With Curtis going around and teaching people about the rich history of Hollins and with being connected to all of the local business owners, for example knowing the barber shop gallery owner. It makes coming up with an idea difficult. What I feel will actually help people is in my opinion to create a video on the Hollin's Street area and what it has to offer. I feel if we do that on a social media platform we would get numerous people to listen to us and would help gain a following not just in Baltimore but all over the nation as well. I would contribute in this by 1. coming up with the concept of each video, and help narrowing down which locations we should film at and what should be talked about in those 60 seconds 2. helping shoot the video and help with the editing of the video into what we envision it to be as a class.

Comments

Popular Posts