Memories of Hollins

Last week on Wednesday February 14th, the AMST 422-682 took a tour of the Hollins Area, and i honestly have to say it brought back some great memories from my childhood. We started off going through a local school and community center. On the way to Hollins Market, we walked down local streets and we could see the ghost of Baltimore City with the fantom writings on the some buildings such as a local Hollins liquor store that has the name "Knoblock's" on the top which makes you wonder what that building was in the past. Then we get to the more modern businesses located in the area with Black Cherry Puppets, a local puppet theatre that is influential in community out reach by having numerous puppet shows for the local youth.

When you look at Baltimore city you always focus on the bad and not the good. It's neighborhoods like this that shows you that Baltimore is not what everyone outside of the city thinks it is. I came to this realization when we came across a horse stable located about three or so blocks from the market that I don't know the full extent of what there is to offer in the Hollins Area. While on this tour, it brought back memories of when me and my father would come to Hollins market, all the way from Columbia, Maryland, just to shop there for the various meats we needed from Jacks and our produce from L&R, and then when we visited the local barber shop there, it also has me remembering the times me and my father went to his childhood barber. I still go to him to this day. Overall the tour that was given by Curtis Eaddy was eye opening and made me think more about my preconceived notions. Overall I have to say that seen Hollins from the perspective of someone who grew up there and has family members that are part of the history of the neighborhood, specifically his grandfather, who is know by almost everyone. From the local barbers, to the horse stable owners. I encourage all of you to take this tour and see a side of Baltimore that you would never expect to see given the history of carnage in this wonderful city.

Here are some more photos from the Hollins tour:


Comments

Popular Posts